In the beginning...
So what's this all about? Well, in the past 3 months, I’ve had some weird stuff happen that I think I should tell others about.
Well, I guess I'll just put it out there in the road. I was born Jewish, and, well, I just thought there was something missing.
- I was Bar Mitzvah'd.
- I taught Hebrew School.
- I was Youth Group President for 2 years at shul.
- I was a member of BBYO for 2 years.
Don't get me wrong. Some of my best friends are Jewish. Matter of fact, both my sisters, both my parents, my aunts, uncles...let's just say like they did in the OT (Old Testament), I come from a long line of begat's and begotten Jewish folk.
When I felt at most connected to God was when I was in His house, reading His word (basically, talkin' to Him). What bothered me most about it, though, was I didn't understand what I was saying. I always felt a deep sense of connectedness about it though. I felt as though I "should feel him here since I'm in His house".
But as I grew up, I felt a sense of confusion about it all. I'd go to synagogue, hear the rabbi read from the Torah, and he'd explain a passage. I'd follow the holidays.
That's it. That's what it meant to be Jewish for me growing up. I'd celebrate the holidays, eat the food (Oy! did I eat the food), and say the prayers and hope that I didn't get struck by lightning or that Elijah wouldn't run me down on the highway for breaking Passover 2 days early with that accidental cheeseburger.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home